Monday, May 4, 2009

The story so far

I have created this blog to tell the story of our 1930 Chevy coupe. I have built some hotrods and done some restoration work in the past but I have never been able to keep them as I was doing them for a living. This however is the one I will be doing for myself and my girlfriend Heather. So lets get to the coupe.

The story on this car goes in a couple of segments here so bear with me as it is a little bit complicated. I had a 1930 Ford roadster pickup body that I was wanting to find a chassis for. I called a friend of mine named Dave as he has alot of hotrods and parts and knows alot of people with them also. Now Dave is a great guy and a good friend however he is not the kind of guy who likes to get rid of things. So I called to ask him if he knew anyone who might have an early chevy chassis for sale. He said "there is one next to my barn but it goes with a body". I said"OK, but would you want to sell it?" He said "well whats it worth?" After playing the game of what it is worth I never really got an answer out of him. He told me the body was in the attic of a barn at his friends place along with some other bodies. He asked me to give him a hand moving the bodies from his buddies place back to his and we would get a price figured out. Well he thought there were three car bodies up there but it was more like six. We pulled them all out and hauled them all back to his place. All except the Chevy coupe. He said we might as well unload it at my house. I said "Dave we have to get a price figured out becasue I dont have alot of money and to tell you the truth I probably cant afford to buy it off you." Dave said " You don't owe me anything you just got done working it off." I couldnt believe it. Dave, the guy who never wants to let go of anyhting just gave me a coupe. Now this thing wasn't any kind of beauty queen as you will see in the first pics, but it was well within my price range and I know I have the ability to bring this lost cause back to life. Thats the story of how I got it.

Now for the story on how Dave got it. After looking at the title for the car (he got a title shortly after getting the car) Dave realized that those bodies were in the attic of that old barn for the last 25 years. So it was around 1983 or 84 that he was talking to a friend of his that told him about the coupe. His friend told him that they were out rabbit hunting in the woods and ran across this old car body. They informed him that there wasnt much left but that they would take him to it so he could check it out. They went back to the spot and found the coupe on the edge of a swamp left to rot. They got to work hauling the leftover pieces of the car out of the woods and hauling the parts to back to the loft of the barn. So thats the story on the car from then until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment